A crunchy golden crust with a juicy middle is what you get when you make these Deep Fried Meatballs. They are the perfect bitesize that will go along well with any sauce or simply by themselves.
Easy Deep Fried Meatballs
Out of all the Italian recipes out there, the first 2 that come to mind is a pasta or meatballs recipe. This is a recipe made with very traditional ingredients like ground beef, grated onion, breadcrumbs, and grated parmesan cheese. All of this is mixed with the right amount of seasonings to make the perfect mixture. Then shape and deep fry until you get very delicious meatballs in less than 30 minutes.
A Lot of meatball recipes will be made with pork and ground beef to aid in the juiciness but I guarantee you that with just ground beef they will be perfect. This recipe will be great for any game night where you want to eat tasty food that you can make ahead of time. Good to make as a main dish for any weeknight dinner and get the family involved in making and eating the meatballs.
Do eggs make meatballs softer?
The simple answer is no. A lot of people seem to think that eggs will make your meatballs softer. The reality is that the purpose of the egg is to bind everything together along with other ingredients. So try not to skip the eggs in meatball recipes.
Can I use flour instead of breadcrumbs?
Yes, you can use flour instead of breadcrumbs to coat the meatballs. But you will notice a difference in the finished result. When using flour, the finished meatball will be smooth. So when you fry it you won’t get a crunchy outside layer but if you don’t mind then go ahead and use it.
Do I need to chill the meatballs before frying?
You don’t need to chill meatballs before frying. Many people believe that if you chill your meatballs, they won’t fall apart. But unless you are making this recipe ahead, there is no need. Your meatballs will bind with the help of the egg and breadcrumbs.
Ground Beef- This recipe uses ground beef with a high fat percentage. This is because it will yield a more juicy and flavorful meatball.
Breadcrumbs- I used plain breadcrumbs but you can use the Italian style or make your own if you prefer.
Parmesan Cheese- I used freshly grated parmesan cheese but store bought cheese will also work.
Onion- I used one small onion, you don’t need to add too much. If you are not an onion lover but still want to add the flavor and moisture it has then you can cut your onion until it is very small. You can also just use a food processor to get it almost to a paste consistency.
Egg- I added 1 egg to help the mixture bind together.
Parsley- I used fresh parsley. You can use dry parsley but fresh is better for this recipe because it is stronger in taste.
Seasonings- We use salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and oregano to make the right balance between flavors.
How To Make Deep Fried Meatballs
1. First you want to add the meat, egg, onion, cheese, and all seasonings to a large bowl. Then you want to add only half of your breadcrumbs because you will need the rest for later. Combine all your ingredients preferably with your hands until everything is well mixed. Try not to overmix the mixture.
2. You now want to start making meatballs. You can use 2 scoops of meat with a tablespoon so you always get the same amount. Roll the meat in your hand until you form a ball. It doesn’t have to be perfect as long as all the meatballs are fairly the same in size.
3. Roll the meatballs in the breading of your choice. No need to pass the balls through an egg wash.
4. In a large pan, Dutch oven or a deep fryer add your oil. Set to medium heat and make sure your oil is hot before frying. Add the meatballs to fry in batches if there’s not enough space in your pot. Cook for 5 minutes and remove onto a paper towel and enjoy.
- You can make this same recipe and spice it up with some red chili flakes. You can also use a little bit of cayenne pepper.
- A fun way to make this recipe is to make these deep fried meatballs on a stick. Then just fry as directed in the recipe. This is a great way to make it as party food.
What to serve with?
You can serve these meatballs with spaghetti or in a tomato sauce. You can serve it next to white rice, corn, or a nice creamy mashed potato. My 2 favorite ways are with some french fries or in a bread roll. And of course, you can’t forget to pair them up with some drinks like a refreshing passion fruit mojito or a tasty piña colada.
How to store and Reheat?
To store your meatballs in the fridge just make sure that you cover them with plastic wrap, or foil or inside a large airtight container. Make sure not to squish the balls together because they can get deformed and fall apart. Keep for no more than 3 days while raw or cooked in your fridge. You can freeze your meatballs raw or cooked for about 3 months. Make sure to freeze them in a tray and then transfer them to a freezer bag or an airtight container.
To reheat you need to make sure you thaw first. You can heat them in the microwave for a few seconds at a time until hot. You can also re-fry them for about 2-3 minutes over medium heat.
Deep Fried Meatballs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion (grated) (68g)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoon parsley
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (grated) (35g)
- 3 cups oil
- In a big bowl, add the ground beef, grated onion, egg, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, oregano, parsley, grated parmesan cheese, and only 1/4 cup of the breadcrumbs. Mix until everything is well combined but don't over mix.
- Roll the ground beef mixture into about 1 ounce balls. To get this measurement I take 2 scoops of mixture with a tablespoon.
- In a small bowl add 1/4 of a cup of breadcrumbs and roll the meatballs in it until fully covered.
- In a large pan, add 3 cups of oil or enough oil to completely cover the meatballs over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from oil and place the meatballs onto a paper towel or a cooling rack to remove any excess oil.
Don’t miss another delicious recipe, Sign up today!
Leave a Reply