All you need is 2 ingredients and 5 minutes to make a deliciously rich and creamy texture sauce called mayo ketchup. It can be used as a fry sauce, a salad dressing, and a dipping sauce and condiment!
What is Mayo ketchup?
Mayo ketchup is a perfect blend of mayonnaise and ketchup. The mayo adds the perfect umami taste and the ketchup adds tiny bursts of tanginess.
In Puerto Rico is known as “mayoketchup” and “salsa golf” in Argentina. But is globally prepared, it can even be found in Germany as tubes and in Belgian fry shops.
You can find this sauce already made in supermarkets but trust me this is better!
It doesn’t matter the name brand of either of the ingredients. Use your preferred choice.
- 1. Mayonnaise- I used ½ cup of regular Hellman’s mayo because is the brand I like and prefer. You can use any type of mayonnaise you like even vegan ones.
- 2. Ketchup- I used ¼ cup of ketchup.
How to make it
Step 1: In a small bowl add the mayonnaise and ketchup. Make sure is big enough to hold both ingredients.
Step 2: Mix until everything is well incorporated. You might see tiny red specs but that’s from the ketchup. Nothing to worry about.
⭐️ Tip: To me, the perfect ratio in this sauce is 2 parts mayonnaise to 1 part ketchup. This will give you a light pink sauce that is tangy and slightly sweet.
- To make it sweeter- Add more ketchup and it will be sweeter, a brighter pink, and looser in texture. You can also add ½ teaspoon of brown sugar.
- Savory- The best way to give it a more savory taste is to add 1 minced garlic (or garlic powder). Or ½ teaspoon of adobo seasoning and ¼ teaspoon of sazon.
- Spicy- You can add a pinch of cayenne pepper. Or some homemade pique.
- Add texture- You can add parsley to give it some texture but it won’t affect the flavor much. If you want a deeper herb flavor add 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro. Some people even add sofrito!
- Smoky- Add a touch of paprika and a dash of Worcestershire for a hint of smokiness. It is a layer of complexity to the familiar flavors.
You can store it for up to 2 weeks in your fridge in a condiment bottle or airtight container. I prefer a glass jar because is easier to clean. Remember, if it smells or tastes funny just discard it.
What can it be used with?
- It can be used as a burger/ sandwich sauce. It goes great on a soft potato bun or in pan sobao to make a tripleta.
- You can use it as a sauce for chicken wings and fries!
- It can even be used as a delicious salad dressing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Heinz may claim the invention of this sauce in 2018 but the reality is Goya had the same product since 2007. While in Utah there are claims that it was created in the 40s by Don Edwards. In Argentina, the credit goes to a chemist named Luis Federico. Meanwhile, in Puerto Rico, the invention is also claimed.
More Delicious Latin Recipes
💬 Do you have any questions or comments on this Mayo ketchup recipe? Leave your questions or comments below and I’ll reply!
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup ketchup
- In a small bowl add your mayonnaise and ketchup. Stir well until no visible lumps. Serve and enjoy.
Don’t miss another delicious recipe and sign up for our newsletter!