The one food that cannot be missing from a Puerto Rican party table is a Sandwich de Mezcla. They’re one of the most simple, mouth-watering, perfect party foods that you can make.
Sandwichitos de Mezcla is 2 pieces of bread with a delicious spread that is prepared in less than 15 minutes but I promise you that they’ll be gone even faster!
What is a Sandwich de Mezcla?
A sandwich de mezcla is the perfect combination of a cheese dip, pimentos, and what Puerto Ricans call jamonilla which is luncheon meat. All of this is blended to get smooth and creamy filling. Take some of this delicious mezcla and put it in between two slices of bread and you get an amazing sandwich de mezcla.
Sandwichitos de mezcla are traditionally cut diagonally once or twice to make mini sandwiches. They’re made with regular white bread slices that sometimes are crustless depending on the person’s preference. I am part of the no-waste team. The crust stays on and we eat the whole thing!
This recipe has been around since the 50s when canned food like corned beef, Vienna sausages, and jamonilla became popular in Puerto Rico. That’s how delicious recipes like the Puerto Rican corned beef, arroz con salchichas, and the delicious sandwichitos de mezcla were born.
What is The Best Bread For Sandwichitos De Mezcla?
For sandwichitos de mezcla the best bread and the most common one that is used is regular white slice bread. In Puerto Rico, pan de manteca is also used but instead of making little triangles, it is made into a roll. But you can use any bread you like. You can use whole wheat or even brioche.
Can I Use Fresh Red Peppers for Pimientos?
The short answer is no. This is because even though they are similar they are two different varieties of red peppers. The pimento is more sweet, with a more subtle taste than the fresh bell pepper. The pimento comes in a brine solution which just adds flavor to it.
Which Luncheon Meat Do I Use?
There are a few luncheon meat brands that people prefer to use when making sandwichitos de mezcla. If you are in Puerto Rico, you’ll quickly notice that the brand Tulip is a favorite. There’s also Spam but in reality, any luncheon meat will do just fine.
Which Is The Best Cheese To Use?
The best cheese to use is hands down the Cheez Whiz brand. This is because it has a very specific taste and it has a thick texture which is perfect for the sandwichitos. I have seen people using the cheese sauce used to eat with Tostitos but for me is too liquidy.
1. Luncheon Meat- I used the Tulip brand but depending on where you live, it may be hard to find. You can use Spam or if you want something more budget-friendly you can buy any off-brand luncheon meat.
2. Cheez Whiz Cheese Dip- The best brand to use is Cheese Whiz. It has the perfect texture to make the mezcla.
3. Pimiento morron- The pimientos come in small jars. I usually find them by the Goya brand, but any brand will do.
4. Bread- Use regular white slice bread. You can also use your favorite type of slice of bread.
How To Make Sandwich de Mezcla
1. First, cut your luncheon meat. The reason for cutting it is that makes it easier on your blender or food processor. Remember that this recipe doesn’t have a lot of liquid, so it can take some time to blend.
2. Add all your ingredients into your blender, including the liquid from the pimientos.
3. Blend all the ingredients until you get a creamy and smooth mix.
4. Then store and chill your mix for a minimum of 10 minutes. What I like to do is wash the cheese whiz jar and use it to store the mix.
5. Spread 2 tablespoons of the mix onto your bread, and close it up. You can add more if you like but it will just drip out.
6. Cut sandwiches diagonally until you have 4 pieces. You can also just cut the bread into 2 pieces if you are having this for yourself and don’t need to make a lot of sandwichitos.
You can make your mix days ahead but it is important that you put the mezcla on the bread the same day that is going to be consumed. This is because you don’t want your bread to be all soggy and wet. You want to have the best party sandwiches.
Cover your bread until the last moment you are planning to serve it because the bread will dry out. You can cover it with foil, plastic wrap, or in a container with a lid.
Even though is not typical, you can make this mezcla spicy by adding ¼ of a teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
What to Serve With?
The sandwich de mezcla is typically served as part of a small charcuterie board in a Puerto Rican style. This board or tray usually has sandwichitos, quesitos, pastelillos de guayaba, cheese, crackers, guava paste, and different types of hams. But you can have this as a quick snack at any time of the day.
How To Store?
For the mezcla (mix) store it in your fridge for no more than a week. Once the sandwich is done you need to store the sandwiches de mezcla in an airtight container, a freezer bag, or on a plate wrapped with foil or plastic. Keep in your fridge for no more than 2 days. I don’t recommend freezing this recipe.
Sandwich de Mezcla
- 12 ounces luncheon meat
- 15 ounces cheeze whiz cheese spread.
- 8 ounces sliced pimiento morron
- 40 slices white bread 2- 20 oz loaves
- Cut the luncheon meat into small cubes. This is to make it easier to blend.
- In a food processor or a blender add your luncheon meat, cheese wiz spread, and the pimientos. Blend for 2 minutes or until you get a smooth consistency. You may have to do this in batches depending on the equipment you have. Chill the mix at least for 10 minutes.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the mix into each slice of bread, and put the bread together to make a sandwich. Cut each sandwich diagonally into 4 pieces and enjoy.
- Luncheon meat- this ingredient can be any brand. I have used the brand’s tulip, spam, and even great value from Walmart.
- Bread- you can use any type of slice bread or use pan sobao.
Did you like this Sandwich de Mezcla Recipe? Try these other party food recipes!
Don’t miss another delicious recipe and sign up for our newsletter!
Hi! I’m Stephenie and I love to make food and share it with everyone. I make everyday recipes that are easy to follow and most importantly delicious! I hope that my recipes inspire you to cook.